Bitcoin and other “digital currencies” is a relatively new method of exchanging value through a “virtual” currency. Messenger Church of God currently accepts donations through Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash, a fork of Bitcoin. It can be far less expensive, as compared to some other common methods, to send and receive payments, especially international payments using Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash. Information below is offered to help familiarize you with this method of sending donations or other use of Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash.
SIMPLE AND QUICK METHOD
(1) Go to Pay with Bitcoin and follow the instructions. To keep it simple select the BitPay wallet. Buy Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash as the instructions explain. Note that as of the current date, Bitcoin transaction fees are higher than Bitcoin Cash transaction fees. Choosing the option with the lowest transaction fee will mean more of your donation amount will go into our account. Transaction fees change often, however. You can test the system to see which is the lowest at any given time by following steps 3 and 4 below before you buy any coin, then starting over.
(2) Select “send money” option from your wallet.
(3) In another tab on your browser, open this page (if not already open) and click on this link: DONATE .
(4) Complete the information (donation amount, etc.) on the form and click on the “Bitpay donate now” button. Next you will be asked for an e-mail address so Bitpay can contact you if anything goes wrong with the payment transaction. Then “continue” and you will be able to select either Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash as your payment method. The network cost of each will be listed on the form.
(5) Copy the Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash address that appears on the donation page and paste it in the “address” field on your wallet “send money” page form. Make sure the payment option you select matches the digital currency (Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash) in your wallet.
(6) Complete the transaction using your “send money” form on your wallet account page. It may take several minutes for the transaction to complete. A transaction fee may have been deducted from the donation amount sent to us, but your full donation amount will be shown on the donation page as an acknowledgement of your donation.
For more detailed information about Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash, see below.
SELECT A BITCOIN OR BITCOIN CASH WALLET
Wallets are usually free to open (“hardware” wallets can be purchased, as well).
Note: Some exchanges include a wallet with the account. Compare transaction fees, if any, and other features before opening a wallet account. You can still open a wallet of your own with control of your own keys, and transfer between wallets. See under “PURCHASE BITCOIN OR BITCOIN CASH” (below) for information on exchanges that include wallets or similar features. Note that Bitpay allows payment only with “Payment Protocol” wallets, to smooth the payment process. If you have another wallet you will have to choose a “Payment Protocol” compatible wallet and transfer Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash to it before you can send a donation to us through Bitpay. See “Which wallets work for a BitPay payment,” for details on which Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash wallets can be used with Bitpay.
Some wallets to compare are found at the following websites:
You can try the online demo at https://www.cointree.com.au/Secure/Demo to see how to buy and sell Bitcoin, receive and send, and pay bills with a Bitcoin wallet. Note that this is an Australian exchange. The methods and payment options vary somewhat with different wallets or exchanges.
PURCHASE BITCOIN OR BITCOIN CASH
Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash can be purchased in various ways, for example, from individuals in person, or from online exchanges, as well as by other means.
A comparison of Bitcoin exchanges and other information about using Bitcoin can be found at the following websites:
Bitcoin Exchange Reviews (Australian exchanges)
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO BUY BITCOIN OR BITCOIN CASH?
Exchange fees vary. Some do not charge any fees except the network transaction fee that applies to all purchases of Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash. Others charge a fee of 1% or less, and still others may charge 5% or more.
The price in dollars or other currency of Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash varies between exchanges, and for direct trading between buyers and sellers the price is set by those doing the trading.
Compare the prices and transaction fees, as well as other factors, when shopping for an exchange.
WHEN BUYING BITCOIN OR BITCOIN CASH HOW IS PAYMENT MADE?
It depends on the exchange. Many offer bank transfer which costs little or nothing. To pay by bank transfer, of course, you will have to give the exchange your banking information (as with services like PayPal and others). Cash, debit card, credit cards, wire transfer, and other payment methods are also available at various exchanges.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO SEND OR RECEIVE BITCOIN OR BITCOIN CASH?
Many wallets allow users to send and receive Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash free.
Others charge a fee, especially to merchants receiving a digital currency.
HOW CAN I DONATE TO MESSENGER CHURCH OF GOD USING BITCOIN OR BITCOIN CASH?
First obtain your wallet and purchase sufficient Bitcoin or Bitcoin Cash to cover your donation. If necessary, make a transfer between your wallet and a “payment protocol” compatible wallet.
Send your donation from your “payment protocol” compatible wallet using Bitpay links on www.cogmessenger.org website.
When you reach the donation payment page, payment from your wallet can be made using the click-to-pay button if supported by your wallet, or by scanning the QR image if supported by your wallet and device, or by cut and paste.
PLEASE NOTE: BITPAY CURRENTLY LIMITS OUR DAILY TRANSACTIONS TO A MAXIMUM OF $10,000 (USD). IN THE RARE EVENT THAT YOUR DONATION MAY EXCEED THAT AMOUNT, PLEASE BREAK IT UP INTO SMALLER AMOUNTS TO BE SENT ON SUCCESSIVE DAYS.